This dialog allows you to assign MIDI messages to multiple properties at once, as opposed to editing the properties one by one in the MIDI Setup dialog. This can save time in situations where the device sends a contiguous range of messages, and you want to assign them to a contiguous group of properties. To take advantage of this feature, you have to know which messages your device sends; otherwise, use Learn mode instead.
For example, suppose your device sends controllers 20 through 35 on channel 1, and you want to assign them to the parameters. The assignments can be made as follows:
- In the MIDI Setup dialog, press the "Auto-Assign" button.
- Under Properties, select "Range"; then set the First combo box to "Ring Growth", and the Last combo box to "Bk Saturation".
- Under Event, select "Controller".
- Set Channel to 1; its Range checkbox should be unchecked.
- Set Controller to 20; its Range checkbox should be checked.
- Press "OK" to make the assignments.
If the device sends a single controller on a range of channels, e.g. controller 20 on channels 1 through 16, the procedure is identical, except that the two Range checkboxes must be reversed.
- Use these controls to specify which properties should have messages assigned to them. Select "All" to assign to all properties; otherwise, select "Range", and use the First and Last combo boxes to specify the range.
- Use this control to specify the type of message to assign to the selected properties: "Controller" to assign continuous controllers, or "Note" to assign notes. To remove existing assignments, select "Off".
- Use these controls to specify which channel(s) to assign to the selected properties. If the Range checkbox is checked, a sequential range of channels is assigned, starting from the specified channel; otherwise the specified channel is assigned to all of the selected properties.
- Use these controls to specify which controller/note number(s) to assign to the selected properties. If the Range checkbox is checked, a sequential range of numbers is assigned, starting from the specified number; otherwise the specified number is assigned to all of the selected properties. If Event is set to "Note", the edit box displays and understands MIDI note numbers, e.g. F#4.
- Set channel only
- If this box is checked, only the channels are assigned; message type and controller/note number are not affected. This option is useful for moving an existing MIDI setup to a different channel.